What better way to enjoy summer than with a 4-ingredient, no-bake sweet treat? This Vanilla Icebox Cake is rich in vanilla flavor, easy to prepare, and is best made ahead – making for great summer entertaining!
Disclaimer: This post and recipe was created for #SummerDessertWeek! I was sent samples by some of the sponsor companies but as always opinions are 100% mine.
Can you guys tell that I’m all about the old-school family recipes lately? First it was my mom’s Macaroni Salad, and then my go-to cocktail, a Classic Cosmo. And today? To celebrate the first day of #SummerDessertWeek, I’m bringing you a Vanilla Icebox Cake.
But before we get to the dessert, let’s talk a little bit about Summer Dessert Week, hosted by Angie of Big Bear’s Wife. It’s a week full of delicious, summery desserts. Think no-bake sweets like icebox cakes, ice creams, and ice pops. It’s a week of desserts highlighting the best of summer fruits. It’s a week of whimsical decorations, many of which were created with the help of one of our sponsors, Wilton.
So what do you need to know?
- You can expect delicious desserts from me this week, on Monday, Wednesday, and Friday – so be sure to come back.
- Follow #SummerDessertWeek on social media to see some of the creations. You can also follow the Pinterest Board for the event.
- Be sure to read to the end of this post. Below the recipe, you’ll learn a bit about our sponsors and have the opportunity to enter to win 1 of 5 prizes. There are some good ones, so check it out!
I’m excited to be participating in Summer Dessert Week this year, and as I said, am kicking off the week with a no-bake sweet treat from my childhood – a Vanilla Icebox Cake. Growing up, I didn’t know it by that trendy name. My brothers and I called our favorite dessert “Cookie Cake.” Not what you’d think of when looking at this cake, right? But it was the dessert we’d hang around in the kitchen while my mom was making it, hoping to lick the bowl, and then constantly asking her whether we could have a piece. It’s basically whipped cream and chocolate cookies – what’s not to love about that?
No really, that’s it. I made homemade whipped cream, using heavy cream, a bit of Dixie Crystals sugar, and a heaping tablespoon of Adams Extract Vanilla (you really want to make sure you use a good, high-quality vanilla extract here, because that’s the prevailing flavor). Then store-bought chocolate wafers are spread with the homemade whipped cream and assembled into the cake. Any leftover wafers (there’s always at least a few broken ones) are crushed to decorate the top, or tossed in a bowl with remaining whipped cream and stashed in the fridge until I can eat it in secret. #kidding #notkidding
Tell me in the comments – What was your favorite summer dessert growing up?
Vanilla Icebox Cake
What better way to enjoy summer than with a 4-ingredient, no-bake sweet treat? This Vanilla Icebox Cake is rich in vanilla flavor, easy to prepare, and is best made ahead - making for great summer entertaining!
- 2 c. heavy whipping cream
- 1/4 c. granulate sugar (I used Dixie Crystals)
- 1 Tbs. vanilla extract (I used Adams Extract)
- 1 box chocolate wafers
Make the Whipped Cream:
In a large bowl, combine heavy cream, sugar and vanilla. With a hand mixer (or manually, with a whisk), beat evenly, until stiff peaks form, creating whipped cream. This will take a good 5-10 minutes.
Assemble the Cake:
Using a butter knife or offset spatula, spread one side of chocolate wafer with whipped cream. Top with another chocolate wafer and again, spread top with whipped cream. Repeat until you have a stack of chocolate wafers, each with a layer of whipped cream in between each, about 10-cookies high. Place stack, standing on its edge (as pictured above), onto a serving dish. Repeat until you have 4 cookie stacks, all lined up one after the other (again, see picture above). If you have extra cookies and whipped cream - and the room on the platter - feel free to add extra cookies to the end of each stack.
Spread remaining whipped cream evenly over top and sides of the cookie cake. Cookies should be completely covered by whipped cream.
If desired, crush any broken cookies and sprinkle crumbs on top of cake for decoration.
Refrigerate for at least 5 hours, so that the chocolate wafers soften. If serving that day, there's no need to cover. If serving later, cover loosely with plastic wrap when storing in the fridge.
Do not use a stand mixer to make the whipped cream. The whisk will never touch the bottom or sides of the bowl, resulting in an uneven bowl of whipped cream.
You can make the cake in any shape you wish, depending on the size and shape of your dish. Square serving dish? No problem - make 3 rows instead of 4, with each row a bit longer than above.
Don’t forget to check out the other #SummerDessertWeek recipes that went live today:
Ice Cream Recipes:
- Circus Animal Cookie Ice Cream from Fake Ginger
- No Churn Banana Pudding Ice Cream from Nik Snacks
- Butterscotch Ice Cream from Pastry Chef Online
- Individual Mermaid Ice Cream Treats from Family Around the Table
- Orange Creamsicle Ice Cream Bon Bons from Cooking With Carlee
Pies of Summer:
- Creamy Peach Pie Delight from Who Needs A Cape?
- Key Lime Coconut Pie from Doughmesstic
- Frozen Strawberry Yogurt Pie from Rants From My Crazy Kitchen
- Mini Fresh Strawberry Pies from Cheese Curds in Paradise
- Cherry Limeade Icebox Pie from Sweet Beginnings
Sweet Summertime Cakes and Cupcakes:
- Coconut Custard Almond Cake from The Food Hunter’s Guide to Cuisine
- Strawberry Ice Cream Cake from The Beard and The Baker
- Fiesta Lime Cupcakes from My Baking Heart
- Nana’s Strawberry Shortcake Cake from Daily Dish Recipes
- Ice Cream Cone Drip Cake from Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks
- Summer Berries Pavlova Cake from Home Sweet Homestead
- Buttermilk Chocolate Cake from Back To My Southern Roots
- Peanut Butter and Chocolate Charlotte A Kitchen Hoor’s Adventures
- Mermaid Layer Cake from Love and Confections
- Vanilla Icebox Cake from Books n’ Cooks (above!)
- Peach-Basil Coffee Cake from The Spiffy Cookie
- Strawberry Lemonade Cupcakes from Cookaholic Wife
- The Perfect Vanilla Cupcake from Our Good Life
No Bake Treats:
- No Bake Lemon Chiffon Dessert from Miss in the Kitchen
- No Bake Berry Cheesecake from Desserts Required
- Pineapple Pretzel Fluff Salad from 4 Sons R Us
- Easy Raspberry Cream Cheese Dessert from Blogghetti
- No Bake Strawberry Cheesecake from Everyday Eileen
- Strawberry Pretzel Salad Dessert from Creative Southern Home
- Sea Shell Beach Cakesicles from Big Bear’s Wife
- Mermaid Splash Cookies from The Domestic Kitchen
- Blueberry Crumble Cheesecake from A Blender Mom
- Blueberry Lemon Cheesecake from Eat Move Make
- Caramel Sticky Pudding Cake from Shockingly Delicious
- Blackberry Roly Poly from Nancie’s Table
- Strawberry Monkey Bread from The Bitter Side of Sweet
- Raspberry Custard Bars with Almond from My Sweet Zepol
- Caramel Corn Cheesecake from Sweet ReciPEAs
- Blackberry Cheesecake with Blackberry Compote from Karen’s Kitchen Stories
- Easy Mini Fruit Pizzas from Jen Around the World
- Sunflower Cookies from Cindy’s Recipes and Writings
- Orange Creamsicle Chip Cookies from Palatable Pastime
- Viennese Whirls from Kudos Kitchen by Renee
- Mason Jar Caramel Banana Pudding from For the Love of Food
Welcome to the 3rd Annual #SummerDessertWeek event hosted by Angie from Big Bear’s Wife. This week-long summer time event is filled with some down right amazing sweet recipes from fantastic bloggers and we’ve got some great giveaways from our generous sponsors for y’all too!! We can’t wait to share all of these summer-themed desserts with you and celebrate sweet, sweet summertime all week long!
There are 45 incredible bloggers participating in this year’s #SummerDessertWeek event! Thanks to those bloggers, we have over 168 summer time sweet treat recipes being shared this week! Grab a few recipes to try out and don’t forget to enter the giveaway below!
Scroll down to take a look!
Dixie Crystals is giving away one (1)Keurig® K-Select® Coffee Maker
Prize #2 — Adam’s Extract is giving away – 1 Gift Pack – including Adams Poundcake Kit, Adams Best, Adams Lemon Extract, Adams Natural Food Color, and Adams Cinnamon Sugar
Prize #3 —Wilton is giving away a Wilton Gift Pack – including – Bake and Bring Geometric Print Non-Stick 13 x 9 -inch Oblong Pan, Bake and Bring Geometric Print Non-Stick 8-inch Square Cake Pan, Bake and Bring Geometric Print Non-Stick 8-inch Round Cake Pan, Peach Cobbler Candy Melts Candy, Blueberry Lemonade Candy Melts Candy, Orange Crème Candy Melts Candy, Key Lime Pie Decorating Icing Pouch with Tips, Orange Crème Decorating Icing Pouch with Tips, Pop Art Triangle and Solid Cupcake Liners, Geometric Print and Solid Green Cupcake Liners, Balloon Dog Icing Decorations, Assorted Brights and Pastels Sprinkles, Blue Sprinkles Tackle Box, Coral Sprinkles Tackle Box, DIY-Lish Mermaid Kit, DIY-Lish Candy Lollipop Kit and Disposable Decorating Bags with 1M Tips
Prize #4 — Sweets & Treats Boutique is giving away 1 (one) baking supply box including an assortment of sprinkles and cupcake liners as well as one of Love From The Oven’s recent cookbooks!
Prize #5 — Anolon is giving one (1) winner an Anolon Advanced Graphite 9″ Round Springform Pan & an Anolon Advanced Graphite 9″ Square Springform Pan
Giveaway open to US Residents 18 years or older. All entries will be verified. No PO Boxes Please. Prizes will be sent directly from sponsors to winners, bloggers are not responsible for prizes. This giveaway runs from July 7th – July 14th at 12AMEST. Winners will be selected soon afterward and contacted by e-mail. Winners will have 48 hours to respond or a new winner will be chosen. There are a total of 5 (five) prizes and therefore we will have a total of 5 (five) winners. No purchase necessary. Void where prohibited by law.
Disclaimer: These posts and recipes are part of the week-long event, #SummerDessertWeek but all opinions are 100% mine! We would like to Thank our amazing sponsors: Dixie Crystals, Adam’s Extract, Wilton, Sweets and Treats Shop and Anolon ! These wonderful sponsors provided the prize packs for our giveaways and also sent samples and products to the #SummerDessertWeek bloggers to use in their recipes.