Mini Crab Cakes are a popular appetizer. While they’re an elegant treat, these little bites can be prepped in advance for easy entertaining!
My hubby loves crab cakes but I don’t make them very often, both because fresh crab is expensive and they tend to be a bit time-consuming. I always make Emeril’s Creole crab cakes – a meaty crab cake tossed with Italian seasoned breadcrumbs, bell peppers, and all sorts of other goodies, fried, and then topped with a lemon-butter sauce that’s has a kick from homemade Creole seasoning.
I love Emeril’s recipe, but I wanted a change. These mini crab cakes were a less time-consuming to make than Emeril’s. There was less prep work and no frying. Instead, panko breadcrumbs and Parmesan make a little crust for a creamy crab mixture. Pop them in the oven and you’re good to go.
I can’t emphasis how much everyone enjoyed the crab cakes. I made a double batch (over 50 mini crab cakes) and within half an hour, they were all gone and I had three request for the recipe. This new recipe was most definitely a success!
Mini Crab Cakes Recipe Notes:
- Make Ahead: Crab mixture can be made up to one day in advance. Crab cakes may be cooked up to two hours in advance, and reheated in the oven for 6-8 minutes just prior to serving. I made them several hours ahead of time and reheated them according to these directions. They still came out great.
Mini Crab Cakes
Mini Crab Cakes are a popular appetizer. While they're an elegant treat, these little bites can be prepped in advance for easy entertaining!
- 8 oz. cream cheese at room temperature
- ¾ c. grated Parmesan cheese divided
- 1 large egg
- ¼ c. sour cream
- ½ tsp. lemon zest
- 3 Tbs. minced fresh chives divided
- ¼ tsp. kosher salt
- ¼ tsp. cayenne pepper
- 8 oz. fresh lump crab meat patted dry and coarsely chopped
- 1 c. panko breadcrumbs
- 4 Tbs. unsalted butter melted
- cooking spray
- lemon slices optional, for serving
Preheat oven to 350F.
In a stand mixer, beat cream cheese, 1/4 c. Parmesan and egg on medium speed until just combined. Add sour cream, lemon zest, 1 Tbs. chives, kosher salt, and cayenne pepper. Beat to combine.
With a rubber spatula, fold in crab meat and set aside.
In a small bowl, combine panko breadcrumbs, remaining 1/2 c. Parmesan, and remaining minced chives.
Spray a mini muffin tin with cooking spray. In each cup, place 1 tablespoon of breadcrumbs, pressing down slightly to form a crust. Top with another heaping tablespoon of the crab mixture. Sprinkle with a little more of the breadcrumbs.
Bake at 350 for 30 minutes, until crab cakes begin to brown.
Garnish with fresh chives. Serve hot with fresh lemon slices.
- While the crab cakes are best hot, I have served them at room temperature.
- Crab mixture can be made up to one day in advance. Crab cakes may be cooked up to two hours in advance, and reheated in the oven for 6-8 minutes just prior to serving. I made them several hours ahead of time and reheated them according to these directions, and they still came out great.
One thought on “Mini Crab Cakes”
Not only are these adorable they look delicious! I’ll have to remember this for parties. Thanks for sharing!