My hubby loves crab cakes but I don’t make them very often, both because fresh crab is expensive and they tend to be a bit time-consuming. I always make Emeril’s crab cakes – a meaty crab cake tossed with Italian seasoned breadcrumbs, bell peppers, and all sorts of other goodies, fried, and then topped with a lemon-butter sauce that’s has a kick from “Emeril’s essence,” his “bam!”
I love Emeril’s recipe, but for some reason, I wanted a change. These mini crab cakes were a less time-consuming to make than Emeril’s. There was less prep work and no frying. Instead, panko breadcrumbs and Parmesan make a little crust for a creamy crab mixture. Pop them in the oven and you’re good to go.
I can’t emphasis how much everyone enjoyed the crab cakes. I made a double batch (over 50 mini crab cakes) and within half an hour, they were all gone and I had three request for the recipe. This new recipe was most definitely a success!
Mini Crab Cakes
Adapted from Annie’s Eats
Makes 24+ crab cakes
- 8 oz. cream cheese, at room temperature
- ¾ c. grated Parmesan cheese, divided
- 1 large egg
- ¼ c. sour cream
- ½ tsp. lemon zest
- 3 Tbs. minced fresh chives, divided
- ¼ tsp. kosher salt
- ¼ tsp. cayenne pepper
- 8 oz. fresh lump crab meat, patted dry and coarsely chopped
- 1 c. panko breadcrumbs
- 4 Tbs. unsalted butter, melted
- Preheat oven to 350F.
- In a stand mixer, beat cream cheese, 1/4 c. Parmesan and egg on medium speed until just combined.
- Add sour cream, lemon zest, 1 Tbs. chives, kosher salt, and cayenne pepper. Beat to combine.
- Fold in crab meat and set aside.
- In a small bowl, combine panko breadcrumbs, remaining 1/2 c. Parmesan, and remaining minced chives.
- Spray a mini muffin tin with cooking spray. In each cup, place 1 tablespoon of breadcrumbs, pressing down slightly to form a crust. Top with another heaping tablespoon of the crab mixture. Sprinkle with a little more of the breadcrumbs.
- Bake at 350 for 30 minutes, until crab cakes begin to brown.
- Garnish with fresh chives, if you’d like. Serve hot.+
* While the crab cakes are best hot, I have served them at room temperature.