A couple of weeks ago, I mentioned how excited I was to attend this year’s Food and Wine Conference in Orlando, FL. Well that weekend is here, and it’s been AMAZING. I’m not going to gush about it now – perhaps in a future post – but you can sneak a peak at the wonderful food and drink and learning opportunities by checking out Books n’ Cooks on Instagram.
As a part of this amazing weekend, I have received the opportunity to participate in a live #SundaySupper event at Tapa Toro, a restaurant in Orlando that combines contemporary Spanish cuisine with a vibrant, energetic atmosphere. Tapa Toro immerses the diner in Spanish culture through their unique paella pit, tapas menu, and extensive selection of imported wines.
If you don’t already know, tapas are Spanish small plates. In the spirit of this weekend’s event, the #SundaySupper tastemakers have created “small bites.” When creating my small bite, I drew on my Italian heritage and the fresh local vegetables that are starting to appear in nearby farmers markets. Chicken Caprese Skewers are easy to make – and easy to prepare ahead – and are full of bright Italian flavors.
Chicken Caprese Bites
By Books n’ Cooks
Makes 12 Bites
- 1 lb. chicken breasts, trimmed and cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1/2 c. Italian-seasoned bread crumbs
- 1 egg
- splash of milk
- canola or olive oil
- 12 pieces of marinated mozzarella, Ciliegine-sized*
- 12 cherry or grape tomatoes
* Ciliegine mozzarella are about the size of a cherry. You can use other sizes, but will need to cut to an appropriate size to top the chicken pieces.
Variation: Instead of marinated mozzarella, use plain mozzarella and sprinkle finished dish with fresh minced basil.
Prep: Place 12 long toothpicks in a shallow dish or plate and top with water. Allow to soak for at least 15 minutes, to ensure that they don’t burn in the oven.
Make the Chicken: Heat oil in a medium skillet set over medium heat, enough oil to cover the bottom of the skillet. While oil heats, place breadcrumbs in a shallow bowl or plate. In another shallow bowl, whisk together egg and a hefty splash of milk.
Dip chicken into egg and milk mixture, turning to coat. Then dip in breadcrumbs, again turning to coat well. Place chicken in hot pan – ensuring that pieces do not touch – and fry on 2-3 sizes, so that each piece has a nice crunchy crust on the outside and is cooked throughout. Move to a plate lined with a paper towel (to soak up extra oil).
Pull out an oven-safe dish – either a serving plate or plates, or a sheet pan. Skewer one piece of chicken, one piece of mozzarella, and top with one cherry tomato. Place on prepared dish.
If prepping ahead, you can stop here. Cover and refrigerate until just before serving.
Bake: About 30 minutes prior to serving, preheat oven to 450F. Bake chicken caprese bites for 15 minutes, until cheese is starting to melt and tomatoes are starting to burst.
Sunday Supper Small Bites Recipes for Entertaining
- Crispy Prosciutto Cups with Pear & Mascarpone by The Crumby Cupcake
- Cucumber Finger Sandwiches by A Little Fish in the Kitchen
- Fiesta Pinwheels by Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks
- Grilled Polenta Bruschetta by Simple and Savory
- Spinach Feta Pinwheels by That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- Sweet Sriracha Almonds by Jersey Girl Cooks
- Waffled Twice Baked Potato Pancake Bites by A Kitchen Hoor’s Adventures
- Wild Mushroom and Grape Crostini by Sew You Think You Can Cook
- Bacon-wrapped Chorizo and Date Skewers – Brochetas de Chorizo y Datiles by Food Lust People Love
- Chicken Caprese Bites by Books n’ Cooks
- Chicken Sausage & Fig Naan Bites by Soulfully Made
- Crab Stuffed Mushrooms by My Savory Spoon
- Easy Chicken Pesto and Sun Dried Tomato Croissants by Jonesin’ For Taste
- Grass Fed Beef Meatballs and Cauliflower Cilantro Smear by Our Good Life
- Greek Chicken Gyro Mini Meatballs with Tzatziki Sauce by Hardly A Goddess
- Mini Salmon Cakes with Anise Aioli by Cindy’s Recipes and Writings
- Salmon Poke on Wonton Crisps by Authentically Candace
- Sausage Stuffed Jalapenos by Gourmet Everyday
- Tuscan Chicken Bites by The Freshman Cook
- Healthy Meringue Bites with Raspberry Yogurt by Cricket’s Confections
- Lemon Bars with Poppy Seed Shortbread by Pies and Plots
- Lime Mascarpone Cheesecake Shooters by Caroline’s Cooking
Join the #SundaySupper conversation on twitter on Sunday! We tweet throughout the day and share recipes from all over the world. Our weekly chat starts at 7:00 pm ET. Follow the #SundaySupper hashtag and remember to include it in your tweets to join in the chat. To get more great Sunday Supper Recipes, visit our website or check out our Pinterest board. Would you like to join the Sunday Supper Movement? It’s easy. You can sign up by clicking here: Sunday Supper Movement.