After three weeks of rain and abnormally chilly weather, it looks like some semblance of spring or early summer is finally here, and I’m thrilled. I’m done with heavy meals, the stove and oven heating up the kitchen. I’ve been longing for lighter fare – grilled meats and veggies, lots of fresh fruit and herbs… everything cooked outside with the windows and doors open. And FINALLY! That time is here. And what perfect timing, because this week, the #SundaySupper tastemakers are heating up the grill and showing off some great recipes that will keep you grilling all summer long.
Due to our busy schedules, we’re frequently grilling with premade marinades or a quick rub of spices or even just kosher salt and freshly ground pepper. But on the weekends, I have a little extra time for those few extra steps that turn a simple grilled steak into something a little extra special. This recipe is one I’ve made several times. The marinade loans a great flavor to the meat, and later gets heated to a boiling point to create a sweet syrup to drizzle on the grilled steak.
Bourbon & Brown Sugar Marinated Grilled Steak
Adapted from Fine Cooking Grilling, 2008 (p. 33)
- 1/2 c. low-sodium soy sauce
- 1/3 c. bourbon
- 1/2 c. firmly packed dark brown sugar
- 1 Tbs. Dijon mustard
- 1 tsp. hot sauce
- 2 lbs. steak (I used flank steak)
Marinade: Combine soy sauce, bourbon, brown sugar, mustard and hot sauce in a large ziplock bag. Add steak and marinate at room temperature for 15-20 minutes.
Cook: Meanwhile, preheat grill, with settings on medium.
Remove steak from marinade (save marinade) and grill to desired doneness – about 5-6 minutes per side for medium-rare.While steaks cook, place leftover marinade in a small pot on the stove and bring to a boil. Boil for 3 minutes until thick and syrupy.
Allow steaks to rest for 5 minutes before slicing thinly, across the grain.
Serve with a drizzle of sauce and your favorite summer sides.
Looking to change up your summer grilling routine? The #SundaySupper tastemakers have everything from drinks to entrees, sides, and desserts. Check ’em out!
- Grilled Peach and Pineapple Sangria by Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks
Let’s Get This BBQ Started!
- Bruschetta with Grilled Bread by Wholistic Woman
- Cilantro Lime Grilled Shrimp with Pineapple Salsa by Taste And See
- Grilled Avocado with Cilantro-Lime Cream by Grumpy’s Honeybunch
The Main Event
- Bison Sliders with Special Sauce by Un Assaggio of Food, Wine & Marriage
- Bourbon & Brown Sugar Marinated Grilled Steak by Books n’ Cooks
- Buffalo Wing Burger by Red Cottage Chronicles
- Chicken Mazatlan by Palatable Pastime
- Greek Lamb Burgers by Positively Stacey
- Grilled Avocado with Confetti Shrimp Salad by The Weekend Gourmet
- Grilled Shrimp Corn Salad with Avocado Vinaigrette by Food Lust People Love
- Grilled Duck with a Red Wine Reduction by Monica’s Table
- Grilled London Broil Steak Tacos by The Freshman Cook
- Grilled Pork and Pineapple Salad by Caroline’s Cooking
- Grilled Ribeye with Simple Spice Rub by Cooking Chat
- Grilled Salami Sandwich by Magnolia Days
- Grilled Flank Steak with Chimichurri Sauce by Angels Home Sweet Homestead
- Hawaiian Chicken Kebabs by Moore or Less Cooking
- Grilled Honey Balsamic Chicken by Alida’s Kitchen
- Grilled Tuna Steaks with Orange Tomato Sauce by Cindy’s Recipes and Writings
- Grilled Tuna Steaks with Strawberry Mango Salsa by simple and savory
- Honey Mustard Grilled Pork Chops by My World Simplified
- How to Grill Salmon and Shrimps in Banana Leaves by Asian In America
- Lemon Herbed Yogurt Chicken Kabobs by Momma’s Meals
- The Best Baby Back Ribs Ever!! by A Day in the Life on the Farm
On a Side Note
- Easy Garlicky Grilled Polenta by She Loves Biscotti
- Easy Grilled Artichokes by April Golightly
- Grilled Asparagus with Lemon and Manchego Cheese by Cupcakes & Kale Chips
- Grilled Cantaloupe Salad with Queso Fresco and Herbs by Cooking With Carlee
- Grilled Corn with Herb Butter by My Imperfect Kitchen
- Grilled Vegetable Pasta Salad by Cookin’ Mimi
Saucy Sentiments and Rebellious Rubs
- Homemade Burger Sauce by Cosmopolitan Cornbread
- Homemade Coffee Steak Rub by Renee’s Kitchen Adventures
- Grilled Banana Boats by Our Good Life
- Grilled Blueberry Cobbler by That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- Grilled Dessert Pizza by Baking Sense
- Grilled Pineapple with Vanilla Sorbet by The Chef Next Door
- Grilled Strawberry & Blue Basil Granita by Culinary Adventures with Camilla
- Super Simple Grilled Peaches by And She Cooks
Plus Piri Piri Sauce and Recipes for Summer Grilling from Sunday Supper Movement
Join the #SundaySupper conversation on twitter on Sunday! We tweet throughout the day and share recipes from all over the world. Our weekly chat starts at 7:00 pm ET. Follow the #SundaySupper hashtag and remember to include it in your tweets to join in the chat. To get more great Sunday Supper Recipes, visit our website or check out our Pinterest board.
Would you like to join the Sunday Supper Movement? It’s easy. You can sign up by clicking here: Sunday Supper Movement