Crisp garden vegetables, protein-rich hummus and cream cheese, and a savory bagel come together in a make-at-home version of my favorite bagel sandwich from a popular chain.
Combining #FarmersMarketWeek with my August Lunch series, I’ve brought you a quick and easy sandwich that’s amazing for breakfast or lunch. It’s my version of a sandwich I like to get at a popular bagel chain in my area. (I may or may not plan meetings around lunchtime near that location.)
Now, this might seem like a simple sandwich, but it’s one that’s full of bright flavors from the fresh vegetables. It’s best when you use whatever is freshest from your garden or local farmer’s market. If you can get bakery bagels, do it, although something like Thomas’ bagels will work in a pinch. Use your ripest tomato. I like plum tomatoes because I prefer less seeds, but the key is a RIPE tomato. A little red onion, maybe a little avocado if you have it. Concerned about the lack of meat? The cream cheese and hummus (I use my homemade hummus) provide the protein and staying power to make this hearty, satisfying sandwich.
Help Books n’ Cooks readers get out of a lunch rut. Leave a comment and tell us, what’s your favorite sandwich?
Veggie Bagel Sandwich
- 1 bagel of your choice (Pictured: my favorite, an everything bagel)
- 1 oz. homemade or store-bought hummus
- 1 oz. veggie cream cheese
- 1 tomato sliced
- sliced red onion
- spinach or lettuce
- additional veggies of your choosing: avocado alfalfa sprouts, etc.)
Slice a bagel in half and toast.
Spread one half with hummus and the other with cream cheese. Stack the bottom half with tomato, red onion, lettuce, and any other veggies you'd like.
Place top half of bagel on veggies and serve.
Wednesday #FarmersMarketWeek Recipes
Thanks to Ellen at Family Around the Table for hosting!
- Charred Corn, Zucchini, Arugula Pizza by The Baking Fairy
- Cherry Strawberry Frozen Yogurt by Caroline’s Cooking
- Corn Pasta with Bacon and Pecorino Romano by Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks
- Fresh Blueberry Streusel Topped Crumb Cake by Faith, Hope, Love, & Luck Survive Despite a Whiskered Accomplice
- Green Bean Salad by A Day in the Life on the Farm
- Grilled Peaches with Ice Cream by House of Nash Eats
- Indian Style Vegetable Fried Rice by Palatable Pastime
- Maple Bundt Cake with Cinnamon Maple Glaze by Family Around the Table
- Naan Bread Grilled Veggie Pizza by The Freshman Cook
- Peach, Zucchini and Onion Flatbread by Cookaholic Wife
- Raspberry Spinach Salad with Grilled Chicken by Tip Garden
- Roasted Onion Dip by Karen’s Kitchen Stories
- Savory Tomato Pie by Cooking With Carlee
- Southwest Stuffed Peppers by Jolene’s Recipe Journal
- Strawberry Shortcake Milkshake by The Redhead Baker
- Vegetable Lasagne Stuffed Zucchini Boats by Everyday Eileen
- Veggie Bagel Sandwich by Books n’ Cooks (above!)
- Watermelon Mojito Popsicles by A Kitchen Hoor’s Adventures
- Zucchini Scones by Kate’s Recipe Box