This week, the #SundaySupper tastemakers are gearing up for Father’s Day, bringing you some of the favorite foods for the special fathers in our lives.
When my husband became a father three and a half years ago, I couldn’t have imagined how much of a natural he’d be. I still remember looking over at him – this big guy – with this teeny baby girl in purple curled up on half of his arm as we’d watch tv in the evening. Typical new parents, we didn’t want to put her down. Every day, he continues to amaze me with how wonderful he is as a father to our two children – playing with them, helping them learn, and teaching them lessons. He has a patience that I’ll never have (and I can only hope that at least one of our children will inherit that from him!).
And so, in honor of this week’s theme, I chose to make two of my hubby’s favorites – burgers and guac. He’s a simple man, and is generally happy with a large, well-cooked burger. I can usually pick out the burger he’ll order when we go out. If there’s one with pineapple or guacamole, that’s usually it. So a few weeks ago, I dug out an old favorite. The chorizo gives this burger a lot of flavor, which pairs well with the subtle guacamole. I used my own guacamole recipe instead of the one in the recipe
You’ll definitely have leftover guac, so feel free to halve the guacamole recipe or have some tortilla chips on hand.
Turkey Chorizo Burgers with Guacamole
Burgers adapted from Fine Cooking
Guacamole by Books n’ Cooks
Makes enough for 5 burgers, with guac leftover
Ingredients for the Burgers:
- 1 lb. lean ground turkey
- 1/2 lb. ground spicy chorizo
- 1/2 tsp. kosher salt
- Burger buns or English Muffins
- tomato & onion slices (optional, for serving)
Ingredients for the Guacamole:
- 3 ripe avocados
- 1/2 tsp. kosher salt
- 1/2 tsp. freshly ground black pepper
- 3/4 tsp. garlic powder
- 1 tsp. freshly squeezed lime juice
Make the Burgers: In a large mixing bowl, add turkey, chorizo, and salt. Use clean hands to work the mixture, trying not to over mix. Form into 1-inch thick patties, using a finger to indent middle slightly.
Grill, flipping after 5 minutes, until center registers 165F – about 10 minutes total.
Make the Guacamole: While burgers are cooking, make the guac. Remove flesh from avocados, keeping 1-2 pits on the side. Lightly mash avocado with a fork. Add in salt, pepper, garlic powder, and lime juice. Continue to mash until desired consistency. Return pit(s) to guacamole, to help the guacamole from browning.
Serve burgers on burger buns or English muffins (toasted, if desired), topped with guacamole, tomato, and onion.
Check out more of Dad’s favorites below!
Appetizers & Snacks:
- Best Popcorn Ever (with Nutritional Yeast!!) by The Wimpy Vegetarian
- Easy Homemade Pretzel Recipe by April Golightly
- Nana’s Pimento Cheese by A Kitchen Hoor’s Adventures
- Bourbon Sweet Tea Cocktail by Cosmopolitan Cornbread
- Dad’s Favorite Blueberry Pancakes by Family Around The Table
- Steak & Egg Breakfast Skillet by Caroline’s Cooking
Condiments & Sauces:
- Beerinara by What Smells So Good?
- Homemade Refrigerator Pickle Relish by Renee’s Kitchen Adventures
- Apple Crisp by Ninja Baker
- Banana Berry Bread by Desserts Required
- Blackberry Chocolate Chunk Ice Cream by Simple and Savory
- Black Bourbon Walnut Brownies with Maple-Candied Bacon by The Crumby Cupcake
- Blueberry Ice Cream Cookie Bars by Cindy’s Recipes and Writings
- Cherry Garcia Bars by Pies and Plots
- Chocolate Marshmallow Cupcakes by Crazed Mom Lifestyle & Recipes
- Pineapple Upside Down Cake by Grumpy’s Honeybunch
- Coconut Cream Pie by Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks
- Tempura Strawberries by Baking Sense
- German Chocolate Brownie Pie by That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- Graham Cracker Chocolate Chunk No-Churn Ice Cream by Cupcakes & Kale Chips
- Grilled Fruit Kabobs with Fresh Whipped Cream by Helpful Homemade
- Peach Crumble Bars by The Finer Cookie
- Personal Banana Cream Pie by Food Lust People Love
- Strawberry Rhubarb Pie by The Chef Next Door
- Maizena Tamal by Basic N Delicious
- Mom’s Carrot Cake by Jennifer Cooks
- Bacon Patty Melts by Cookin’ Mimi
- BBQ Salmon Salad with Avocado Ranch Dressing by PancakeWarriors
- Beef Shepherd’s Pie Casserole by Cooking Chat
- Buffalo Chicken Tacos by Palatable Pastime
- Carolina-Style BBQ Burger by The Redhead Baker
- Coffee-Rubbed Prime Rib Roast by Culinary Adventures with Camilla
- Fried Chicken by Tramplingrose
- Grilled Chicken and Beef Stir Fry by The Freshman Cook
- Grilled Filet Mignon with Zip Sauce by A Day in the Life on the Farm
- Italian Sausage and Peppers by Monica’s Table
- Moroccan Preserved Lemon Chicken Tagine by Curious Cuisiniere
- Sharp Cheddar and Crispy Onion Burgers with Horseradish Sauce by A Mind Full Mom
- Skillet Spaghetti and Meatballs by From Gate to Plate
- Spicy Fish Tacos with Garlic-Chive Aioli by Wholistic Woman
- Turkey Chorizo Burgers with Guacamole by Books n’ Cooks
- Vegetarian “Philly Cheesesteak” by Take A Bite Out of Boca
- Walnut Cauliflower Zucchini Boats by Beauty and the Beets
- Chipotle Lime Cole Slaw by Dizzy Busy and Hungry
- The Ultimate BLT Pasta Salad by Cooking with Carlee
Join the #SundaySupper conversation on twitter on Sunday! We tweet throughout the day and share recipes from all over the world. Our weekly chat starts at 7:00 pm ET. Follow the #SundaySupper hashtag and remember to include it in your tweets to join in the chat. To get more great Sunday Supper Recipes, visit our website or check out our Pinterest board.Would you like to join the Sunday Supper Movement? It’s easy. You can sign up by clicking here: Sunday Supper Movement.
5 thoughts on “Turkey Chorizo Burgers with Guacamole #SundaySupper”
turkey Chorizo burgers sound wonderful! Sometimes nothing else hits the spot. How nice that your husband is a great father. It’s so important! Nice post.
Thanks Kim. 🙂
You had me from the word Chorizo, but honestly kept me with your mention of guacamole. Two favorites! This looks so good!
I’ve been seeing more and more people adding chorizo to burgers but I haven’t tried it. Must make these and your guac!
Great idea mixing the two meats together for the burger.