Salty popcorn, peanuts, and pretzels are drizzled with dark chocolate and topped with sprinkles for a Valentine’s Day snack both adults and kids will love!
Can you believe that January is already almost over? I feel like this month has flown! We finally got the holidays wrapped up – decorations down, thank you notes finished… and now we’re in full prep mode for February! That’s when birthday season seems to start for our group of family and friends as well as Valentine’s Day festivities.
I feel kind of lame but I don’t have a ton of holiday recipes on this blog. I have Christmas covered – it’s my favorite time of year but every other holiday? Not nearly as much. I have a few older recipes that are begging for new photos and a big update (i.e. molten lava cake for two) but otherwise it’s pretty much Valentine’s Day Blondies (huge hit with the kids) and a dinner for two – Jerk Scallops with Pineapple Salsa over Coconut Rice.
That brings me to today’s recipe my kids LOVED this sweet and salty popcorn snack. No joke. I was swatting away little hands multiple times, usually both before and after dinner.
This Sweet & Salty Valentine’s Day Popcorn mix is super easy to make. The chocolate adds the perfect amount of sweetness to the salty snack mix. And you can make this all year round, swapping out the sprinkles for something more seasonal, or leaving them out all together.
- I used Cupid’s Arrow sprinkles from Sprinkle Pop – their sprinkles are the absolute cutest and there’s some for every occasion!
Sweet & Salty Valentine's Day Popcorn Mix
Salty popcorn, peanuts, and pretzels are drizzled with dark chocolate and topped with sprinkles for a Valentine's Day snack both adults and kids will love!
- 7-8 c. salted popcorn
- 1 1/2 c. pretzels (small shapes or crushed slightly)
- 1 c. unsalted salted peanuts
- 7 oz. dark chocolate candy melts melted
- 2 oz. Valentine's sprinkles
Line a baking sheet with parchment paper or Silpat. First, spread out popcorn. Then evenly top with peanuts and pretzels.
Drizzle snack mix with about half of the melted dark chocolate candy melts and sprinkle with half of the sprinkles. Allow to set, about 5 minutes.
Once set, use a spatula or clean hands to gently stir and flip snack mixture. Drizzle with more chocolate and top with sprinkles. (You may want to reserve a little of both to stir things up one more time.)
Once you've used up all of the chocolate and sprinkles, and chocolate has set completely, serve or store in an airtight container for up to 48 hours.
Nutrition calculated based on 8 cups of popcorn. This makes about 10 1-cup servings.
Looking for more Valentine’s Day inspiration?
- Double Chocolate Caramel Cookies by The Freshman Cook
- Fennel, Pomegranate, and Arugula Salad by Karen’s Kitchen Stories
- Pebernødder by Culinary Adventures with Camilla
- Red Velvet Brownies by Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks
- Shrimp with Champagne Butter Sauce by Our Good Life
- Smoked Gouda Fondue by A Kitchen Hoor’s Adventures
- Splenda Chocolate Cupcakes by Palatable Pastime
- Stuffed Country Chicken Breasts by Cindy’s Recipes and Writings
- Sweet & Salty Valentine’s Day Popcorn mix by Books n’ Cooks (above!)
- Valentine Cookie Pops by Family Around the Table