This St. Germain Kumquat Cocktail is a light, bright gin-based cocktail that combines sweet and tart kumquats (yes, they’re both!) with floral notes from the elderflower liqueur.
Friends, my posting seems to be getting further and further apart. Life has been crazy busy and I don’t want to short-change you with mediocre recipes, poor photos and half-@$$ed posts. I love my little corner of the blogosphere, but need to take some time away to regroup.
So enjoy today’s recipe, and enjoy the holiday season. I’ll be back in a month or two, hopefully feeling refreshed and with a whole bunch of new recipes and book reviews to share with you!
The St. Germain Kumquat Cocktail
I was super inspired by kumquats when I first tried the fruit last year, compliments of Melissa’s Produce for #SpringSweetsWeek. My daughter and I enjoyed trying them on their own, and as the container sat on my counter, I continued to pop one every time I passed. But that tart flavor made me super excited to try it in a cocktail.
This St. Germain Kumquat Cocktail called to me. Kumquats? Check. St. Germain? Yes! I’ve been looking for more cocktails using this elderflower liqueur- it is my sister-in-law’s favorite but I’ve struggled find St. Germain cocktails that I really love. Until now. The St. Germain lends a slightly floral note to the sweet cocktail. It’s definitely one I’ll be making on repeat.
- Kumquats are in season from November through March, so I’m sharing this recipe so that you’ll have plenty of time to seek out this late fall / winter fruit
- A kumquat is one of the smallest members of the citrus family. Unlike other citrus fruits, the peel is paper-thin and edible. In fact, it’s the sweetest part of the fruit, while the flesh is tart (like a lemon).
- Kumquats can be enjoyed on their own or in a variety of recipes such as the cocktail I’m sharing today or…
Have you eaten kumquats before? What’s your favorite way to eat or prepare them? Leave a comment and let me know!
St. Germain Kumquat Cocktail
This St. Germain Kumquat Cocktail is a light, bright gin-based cocktail that combines sweet and tart kumquats with floral notes from the elderflower liquor.
- 1/2 oz. simple syrup
- 4 kumquats sliced in half
- 1 1/2 oz. gin
- 3/4 oz. St. Germain liqueur
- 3 oz. club soda
Muddle simple syrup and kumquats together in the base of a cocktail shaker, until the mixture is syrupy. Add half a cup of ice, gin, and St. Germain. Shake well.
Pour into a glass. Top with a bit more fresh ice and about 3 oz. of club soda.
This recipe was adapted from Talia Bunting.