This week, the #SundaySupper tastemakers are all about preserving summer harvest. My main method of preserving summer bounty is freezing (fresh herbs, pesto, blackberry chia seed jam) but over the past couple of years, I’ve begun to get into canning. Making strawberry jam with my daughter and mom is a favorite for early summer while I turn to homemade apple butter in late summer or early fall.
Apple season is just starting near me and will continue for the next couple of months and I’m super excited about going apple picking again. While apple butter is definitely on the list to make, so is homemade apple sauce, which the little ones and I eat in huge quantities and I then freezer for winter months.
Slow Cooker Cinnamon Apple Sauce
by Books n’ Cooks
- 3 lbs. apples (~12 apples), peeled, cored and cut into 1-inch chunks
- 1 orange, juiced and zested
- 1/3 c. granulated sugar
- 1 Tbs. cinnamon
Combine apple pieces, orange juice, orange zest, sugar, and cinnamon in a slow cooker. Set on high and cook for 4 hours, stirring every hour or so to ensure that all of the apples cook completely.
Allow to cool slightly before mashing or pureeing to desired consistency.
Store in an airtight container in the fridge.
For long term storage, freeze in airtight containers.
For more ideas on preserving your summer produce,
check out the recipes below.
- Blackberry Lemon Thyme Syrup by Sunday Supper Movement
- Brinjal pickle (Indian eggplant relish/aubergine chutney) by Caroline’s Cooking
- Freezer Mixed Berry Puree by Cindy’s Recipes and Writings
- Ginger Fig Jam by Palatable Pastime
- Herbed Salsa by What Smells So Good?
- Homemade Giardiniera by Curious Cuisiniere
- Homemade Sriracha by Monica’s Table
- Hot Pepper Oil by Feeding Big and more
- Mediterranean Chutney by Wholistic Woman
- Nanny’s 7-Day Sweet Pickles by Grumpy’s Honeybunch
- Nectarine Kumquat Habanero Chutney by Food Lust People Love
- No Pectin Mixed Berry Jam by My Imperfect Kitchen
- Peach Butter by Redhead Baker
- Pear Ginger Jam by Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks
- Simple Basil Butter by Momma’s Meals
- Stove Top Roasted Garlic by Cricket’s Confections
- Tomato and Chili Pepper Jam by Delaware Girl Eats
- Grilled Peach and Burrata Pizza by An Appealing Plan
- Oven Roasted Tomato Basil Marinara Sauce by Renee’s Kitchen Adventures
- Tomato-Zucchini Pesto Flatbread with Chevre and Balsamic Drizzle by The Weekend Gourmet
- Garden Rice by Basic N Delicious
- Pickled Asian Vegetables by A Mind Full Mom
- Homemade Fruit Leather by A Kitchen Hoor’s Adventures
- Slow Cooker Cinnamon Apple Sauce by Books n’ Cooks
- Chocolate Zucchini Banana Muffins by The Bitter Side of Sweet
- Drunken Peaches by Nosh My Way
- Freeze and Bake Blueberry Pie by That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- How to Freeze Peaches and Make Peach Sauce by The Freshman Cook
- How to Make Chocolate Zucchini Bread by Asian In America
- Mom’s Zucchini Bread by Cosmopolitan Cornbread
- Peach Yogurt Popsicles by Food Done Light
- Summer Fruit Crisp by Pies and Plots
- Summer Fruit Popsicles by Powered By BLING
- Berry Shrubs + A Cocktail by Culinary Adventures with Camilla
Join the #SundaySupper conversation on twitter on Sunday! We tweet throughout the day and share recipes from all over the world. Our weekly chat starts at 7:00 pm ET. Follow the #SundaySupper hashtag and remember to include it in your tweets to join in the chat. To get more great Sunday Supper Recipes, visit our website or check out our Pinterest board.
Would you like to join the Sunday Supper Movement? It’s easy. You can sign up by clicking here: Sunday Supper Movement.
2 thoughts on “Slow Cooker Cinnamon Apple Sauce #SundaySupper”
This reminds me of my grandmother! Good memories of her making homemade apple sauce every summer!
It doesn’t get any easier than this!