Celebrate Valentine’s Day (or the weekend) with a sweet and spicy dinner for two. Sweet pineapple salsa compliments jerk scallops full of flavor in a dinner that comes together quickly.
Like so many other couples, my husband and I rarely eat out on Valentine’s Day. And since having kids? We rarely get to go out around Valentine’s Day. Instead, we try to celebrate with a special dinner at home. Sometimes it’s something that’s a little more expensive, something it’s something that’s more time consuming to make than usual, or something it’s just something that I know my husband will love.
This dinner meets two of those criteria. Scallops are something that my husband enjoys immensely but that I don’t make super frequently. They’re a bit pricey and since having kids, I haven’t quite been as excited about seafood as I used to be. Plus, it is one of those proteins that I’m always (inexplicably) nervous about undercooking. #Paranoia
So for this Valentine’s Day, I paired some of my husband’s favorites for a quick but killer meal. Spicy jerk scallops are topped with a sweet pineapple salsa and a rice, flavored ever so slightly of coconut. He was in heaven.
- I used homemade jerk seasoning in this recipe, but you can also use store-bought.
- My husband has a big appetite, so this recipe serves two in our house. Depending on your appetites, you may want to adjust the amount of scallops.
- This pineapple salsa is mild, with no jalapeno. It was a perfectly sweet pairing for us, since the scallops have a good bit of kick, but feel free to add a jalapeno (minced, seeds included or removed per your preferences) if you’d like this dish even spicier.
- Although the recipes is for searing on the stove top, the scallops can be grilled as well.
More Recipes for Two
- Chicken Florentine for 2 by Strawberry Blondie Kitchen
- Jerk Scallops with Pineapple Salsa over Coconut Rice by Books n’ Cooks (below!)
- Pork Filet Mignon by A Day in the Life on the Farm
- Banana Split Cookie Trifle for Two by Palatable Pastime
- Brown Butter Chocolate Chip Skillet Cookie for Two (Pizookies) by House of Nash Eats
- Chocolate Peanut Butter Lava Cakes for 2 by Kate’s Recipe Box
- Do You Carrot All Cake by Cindy’s Recipes and Writings
- Heart Cocoa for Two by Amy’s Cooking Adventures
Jerk Scallops with Pineapple Salsa over Coconut Rice
Celebrate Valentine's Day (or the weekend) with a sweet and spicy dinner for two. Sweet pineapple salsa compliments jerk scallops full of flavor in a dinner that comes together quickly.
Ingredients for the Pineapple Salsa:
- 1 c. diced pineapple
- 3 Tbs. minced red onion
- 2 Tbs. finely chopped cilantro
- 1 Tbs. fresh lime juice
Ingredients for the Coconut Rice:
- 1 c. jasmine rice
- 3/4 c. coconut milk
- 3/4 c. water
Ingredients for the Scallops:
- 3 Tbs. jerk seasoning
- 3/4 lb. sea scallops (about 8 large scallops)
- 2 Tbs. extra virgin olive oil
Make the Salsa:
Combine all ingredients in a bowl. Refrigerate until serving.
Make the Rice & Scallops:
Bring coconut milk and water to a boil. Add rice and reduce heat. Simmer, covered, for 10-15 minutes, or until rice is cooked through. Turn off stove and allow to stand for a few minutes.
While the rice is cooking, heat a heavy, cast-iron skillet over medium heat. When hot, add oil.
Rinse scallops and pat dry. Place jerk seasoning on a plate. Coat scallops with seasoning on top, bottom and sides. Place in hot skillet. Sear for 2 minutes per side. If needed, lower heat and continue to cook until scallops are cooked throughout.
Serve scallops hot, over rice. Top with pineapple salsa.
A Books n’ Cooks Original Recipe
Looking for more recipes designed to serve two? Check out the links from my friends below, or search #RecipesForTwo on social media for a visual tour of some amazing dishes.