Crispy Smashed Dutch Potatoes are like irresistible french fries – crispy and perfectly seasoned – but healthier. Naturally gluten-free and vegan, these little potatoes can be dressed up for a fancier dinner at home but are equally at home next to your favorite comfort-food.
Disclaimer: This post is sponsored in conjunction with #FallFlavors week. I received product samples from sponsor companies to help in the creation of the #FallFlavors recipes. All opinions are mine alone.
To say I’m late to the Smashed Potato Party would be an understatement. These little guys have been all over the food blogosphere for a couple of years now and despite bookmarking recipe after recipe, I never got around to making them. But when Fall Flavors sponsor Melissa’s Produce sent their baby Dutch yellow potatoes, I knew I finally had to make it happen.
These potatoes take a little time but they’re pretty amazing. The concept is easy – boil until fork tender, smash, and roast with olive oil until crispy. Season as you’d like. A couple of steps but easy.
And you know what, my husband and I gobbled them up. They’re like fancy french fries, but not totally laden with grease. He quickly proclaimed that I’d be making them again and again. And you know what? I’m not complaining.
- Potatoes: Any small potato will do. I used baby Dutch yellow potatoes from our sponsor Melissa’s Produce – they are pretty small (most golf-ball sized). If you opt for a larger potato, you’ll need to boil them longer to reach fork-tender.
- Variations: There are tons of variations you can do with this recipe. Season with salt and pepper and then after baking, sprinkle with freshly grated Parmesan just prior to serving. Add minced fresh thyme or rosemary. Got a flavored olive oil? Use it! Once you have the technique, you can have fun with it.
- Serving Suggestions: These Crispy Smashed Dutch Potatoes are can be dressed up for a fancier dinner at home (perhaps a holiday ham, roast, or my personal favorite (which badly needs updated photos but is a longtime favorite), Beef Wellington) but are equally at home next to your favorite comfort-food (like a simple oven roasted chicken or meatloaf).
Giveaway: Don’t forget there’s a giveaway this week. The prize details are here, but you can enter to win in the Rafflecopter just below the recipe.
Check out these other #FallFlavors recipes being shared today, and then scroll down to get my recipe for Smashed Potatoes!
- Air Fryer Cinnamon Spice Donut Drops by Daily Dish Recipes
- Almond Shortbread Cookies by Take Two Tapas
- Apple Cider Mule by Cheese Curd In Paradise
- Apple Cider Palmer by The Spiffy Cookie
- Baked Pumpkin Donut Bites by Cookaholic Wife
- Baked Sweet Potato Chips by An Affair from the Heart
- Bread Pudding with Crème Anglaise by Palatable Pastime
- Caramel Apple Bourbon Hot Toddy by Family Around the Table
- Caramel Apple Pie Ice Cream by Eat Move Make
- Caramel Apple Tea Cake by Big Bears Wife
- Cheddar Butternut Squash & Black Bean Chowder by Savory Moments
- Cranberry Walnut Salad with Caramel Apple Tea Vinaigrette by That Recipe
- Crispy Smashed Dutch Potatoes by Books n’ Cooks (below!)
- Easy Ginger Cookie Truffles by A Kitchen Hoor’s Adventures
- Glazed Cherry Pie Bars by Art of Natural Living
- Hasselback Sweet Potatoes by Jolene’s Recipe Journal
- Lemon Lavender Scones by Blogghetti
- Meyer Lemon Lavender Cupcakes by Cindy’s Recipes and Writings
- Mini Apple Crisp by Simple and Savory
- Pumpkin Whoopie Pie by Lemon Blossoms
- Roasted Maple Drenched Apple Pork Tenderloin Easy Recipe by Intelligent Domestications
- Roasted Sunchokes, Potatoes and Mushrooms by A Day in the Life on the Farm
- Salted Caramel Swirl Chocolate Chip Cookies by Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks
- Spiced Apple Cider Mini Cheesecakes by Sweet Beginnings
- Sweet Potato Tart by Karen’s Kitchen Stories
Crispy Smashed Dutch Potatoes
Crispy Smashed Dutch Potatoes are like irresistible french fries - crispy and perfectly seasoned - but healthier. Naturally gluten-free and vegan, these little potatoes can be dressed up for a fancier dinner at home but are equally at home next to your favorite comfort-food.
- 1 1/2 lb. baby Dutch yellow potatoes cleaned with sprouted areas removed
- 3 tsp. kosher salt divided
- 4-5 Tbs. extra-virgin olive oil divided
- 1/2 tsp. garlic powder
- 1 tsp. coarsely ground black pepper
Set a rack in the upper 1/3 of oven and preheat oven to 425F.
While oven is preheating, place potatoes whole in a pot. Add water so that potatoes are covered by 1-2 inches. Add 1 1/2 tsp. kosher salt. Bring water to a boil. Continue to cook until potatoes are fork tender, about 10-15 minutes.
When potatoes are cooked throughout, drain water from pot and allow potatoes to sit until cool enough to handle, about 5 minutes.
Coat baking sheet (lined with foil if you'd like) with 1-2 Tbs. of the olive oil. Transfer potatoes to a baking sheet. Smash with a potato masher, so that potatoes are about 1/2-inch thick, smashed but still mostly together.
Brush or drizzle remaining 3 Tbs. olive oil over potatoes. Sprinkle with garlic powder, remaining 1 1/2 tsp. kosher salt, and black pepper.
Bake in preheated oven for 20-25 minutes, until potatoes are crispy along edges.
A Books n’ Cooks original recipe.
Disclaimer: Thank you #FallFlavors Week Sponsors: Melissa’s Produce, Dixie Crystals, Torani, Republic of Tea, Taylor & Colledge, and Nairn’s for providing the prizes free of charge. These companies also provided the bloggers with samples and product to use for #FallFlavors Week recipes. All opinions are my own. The #FallFlavors Week giveaway is open to residents of the United States who are 18 years of age or older. All entries for the winner will be checked and verified. By entering you give the right to use your name and likeness. The number of entries received determines the odds of winning. Six (6) winners will be selected. The prize packages will be sent directly from the giveaway sponsors. The #FallFlavors Week Bloggers are not responsible for the fulfillment or delivery of the prize packages. Bloggers hosting this giveaway and their immediate family members in their household cannot enter or win the giveaway. No purchase necessary. Void where prohibited by law. This promotion is in no way sponsored, endorsed or administered by, or associated with Facebook, Instagram, Pinterest, Twitter or any other social channel mentioned in the #FallFlavors Week posts or entry.