Chex cereal, Cheerios and pretzels are tossed with kids’ favorites (M&Ms and marshmallows!) and covered with a vanilla candy coating and springtime sprinkles to create this Cottontail Chex Mix, a festive snack that’s hard to stop at just one handful.
This post is sponsored in conjunction with #SpringSweetsWeek. I received product samples from sponsor companies to help in the creation of the #SpringSweetsWeek recipes. All opinions are mine alone.
Looking for a springtime sweet to brighten up a kid’s lunchbox? Or perhaps it’s something festive to enjoy as an after school snack or to serve while entertaining? This is it!
Just a handful of ingredients – many of which are probably already in your pantry if you have little ones in the house – and only a few minutes to assemble. The only special ingredient is seasonal sprinkles. The Chex Mix will need to set for about 30 minutes, but the hands-on time with this recipe is minimal.
My taste-testers loved this recipe. My son was pretty obsessed actually, melting down when I wouldn’t refill his bowl. I even caught my husband sneaking handfuls when he thought I wasn’t looking.
In case you haven’t been following along, I just wanted to remind you about a couple of fun #SpringSweetsWeek things.
- We do have a giveaway this week. You can find the prize information here here but you can enter by scrolling to the bottom of this post. The Rafflecopter is there to make life easy for you. 🙂
- If you want to check out other recipes this week, you can search the hashtag #SpringSweetsWeek on social media. There’s also a Pinterest board you can follow or just scroll through.
Finally, be sure to check out the other recipes that went live this morning:
- A #SpringSweetsWeek G & T by Culinary Adventures with Camilla
- Bunny Bark by Our Good Life
- Carrot Cake Ice Cream Sandwiches by Crumb Top Baking
- Carrot Cake Scones by Cheese Curd In Paradise
- Chocolate Crepe Cake Roll by A Kitchen Hoor’s Adventures
- Chocolate Marshmallow Dip by Simply Inspired Meals
- Chocolate Panna Cotta by The Gingered Whisk
- Chocolate Wacky Cake by The Gingered Whisk
- Cottontail Chex Mix by Books n’ Cooks
- Easy as Pie Coconut Cream Pie by A Day in the Life on the Farm
- Flower Pot Spring Cookies by The Freshman Cook
- Homemade Peach Cobbler by A Joyfully Mad Kitchen
- Key Lime Cupcakes by House of Nash Eats
- Key Lime Sugar Cookies by Kelly Lynn’s Sweets and Treats
- Lemon Cake Roll by Sweet Beginnings
- Lofthouse Soft Sugar Cookies with Frosting by The Crumby Kitchen
- Marshmallow S’Mores Cookies by Palatable Pastime
- Mint Chocolate Yogurt Pudding by Cindy’s Recipes and Writings
- Orange Cream Cheese Loaf Cake by A Savory Feast
- Orange Cream Overnight Oats by Cookaholic Wife
- Orange Creamsicle Fruit Salad by Home Sweet Homestead
- PEEPS Bunny Trail Cupcakes by Family Around the Table
- Sheet Pan Key Lime Pie by Strawberry Blondie Kitchen
- Simple S’mores Bars by Cooking With Carlee
- Small Batch Chocolate cupcakes by Creative Southern Home
- Strawberry Papaya and Blood Orange Margarita by Karen’s Kitchen Stories
- Strawberry Rhubarb Cake by Jolene’s Recipe Journal
- Vegan Blueberry Yogurt Coffee Cake by Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks
- Vegan Lemon Blueberry Cupcakes by The Baking Fairy
- You can use any sort of seasonal candy or sprinkles for this Chex Mix. In the spirit of Easter and springtime, I used Cottontail Confetti Sprinkle Mix from #SpringSweetsWeek sponsor Sprinkle Pop. I have worked with Sprinkle Pop before and cannot say enough about their sprinkle collections – so many adorable ones to choose from! I mean, how stinkin’ cute are those little eggs?
- I used plain M&Ms in this recipe to keep it nut-free, since I packed some in school lunches during the week. If that’s not a concern for you, Reese’s Pieces would also be a great addition to this sweet snack mix.
Cottontail Chex Mix
Chex cereal, Cheerios and pretzels are tossed with kids favorites (M&Ms and marshmallows!) and covered with a vanilla candy coating and springtime sprinkles to create this Cottontail Chex Mix, a festive snack that's hard to stop at just one handful.
- 6 c. Rice Chex cereal
- 1 c. plain Cheerios cereal
- 1 c. crushed pretzels
- 1 c. mini marshmallows
- 2 c. M&Ms or other candy mix-in
- 10 oz. vanilla candy melts
- 2 oz. spring bunny sprinkles
Line a baking sheet with wax or parchment paper and set aside.
In a very large bowl (I actually used a stock pot because my bowls were not quite big enough), combine Chex, Cheerios, crushed pretzels, mini marshmallows and candy. Toss to mix.
Melt candy melts in the microwave according to instructions on package. Pour half over Chex mix and with a rubber spatula, start mixing in. When mixed in as best as possible, add remaining melted candy melts and mix to combine.
Turn out onto prepared baking sheet and spread into an even layer. Scatter sprinkles evenly over top of the Chex Mix.
Allow the whole mixture to set for 30 minutes. Break into pieces and store in an airtight container if not enjoying immediately.
- Recipe makes approximately 20 1/2 cup servings.
- If you have a 12-oz. bag of candy melts, feel free to add an extra 1/2 - 1 cup of cereal or pretzels.
Adapted from Wishes and Dishes.
Thank you #SpringSweetsWeek Sponsors: Dixie Crystals, Swiss Diamond, Nancy’s Yogurt, Barlean’s, Sprinkle Pop, PEEPS, Melissa’s Produce, and Adams Extracts for providing the prizes free of charge. These companies also provided the bloggers with samples and product to use for #SpringSweetsWeek recipes. All opinions are my own. The #SpringSweetsWeek giveaway is open to residents of the United States who are 18 years of age or older. All entries for the winner will be checked and verified. By entering you give the right to use your name and likeness. The number of entries received determines the odds of winning. Six (6) winners will be selected. The prize packages will be sent directly from the giveaway sponsors. The #SpringSweetsWeek Bloggers are not responsible for the fulfillment or delivery of the prize packages. Bloggers hosting this giveaway and their immediate family members in their household cannot enter or win the giveaway. No purchase necessary. Void where prohibited by law. This promotion is in no way sponsored, endorsed or administered by, or associated with Facebook, Instagram, Pinterest, Twitter or any other social channel mentioned in the #SpringSweetsWeek posts or entry.