A sweet peppermint Hershey kiss – a candy cane kiss – gives a holiday flair to a soft chocolate cookie in these Chocolate Peppermint Kiss Cookies.
Disclaimer: This post is sponsored on behalf of #ChristmasCookies. Our generous sponsors have provided us with products for recipe creation and a giveaway for our readers. As always, all opinions are my own.
Welcome to #ChristmasCookies Week 2020, hosted by the amazing ladies, Ellen from Family Around the Table, Christie from A Kitchen Hoor’s Adventures and Heather from Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks! I love celebrating the holidays with food, and Christmas cookies week is always so much fun.
While the holidays this year will look a little different — be a little smaller and a little quieter — I still plan on doing some holiday baking. My bubble of neighbors and coworkers may end up with more care packages than usual this year. And I may polish up my math skills with halving recipes more often. But I’ll be baking, that’s for sure.
First up is a more traditional Christmas cookie. It’s hard to believe that I don’t have a recipe for some sort of “kiss cookie” on this blog. They’re always so popular around the holiday season, especially a Peanut Butter Blossom (although I’m now dying to try this Flourless Buckeye Blossom version. I opted to make a Chocolate Peppermint Kiss Cookie because my daughter absolutely loves chocolate, and those Candy Cane Kisses are such a fun seasonal treat.
If peppermint isn’t your think but you’d still like to make a more festive version of a “kiss cookie,” I’ve got these on my to-try list:
- Ingredients: I used vanilla extract from our sponsor Adams Extract and Spices in this recipe. Not Christmas? Swap out the Candy Cane (Peppermint) Hershey kisses for a Hugs Kiss or another variety. This truly is a cookie you can make all year round just by switching out the Hershey Kiss!
- Baking: Don’t overbake! The cookies need to be cooked throughout, but if they’re too soft, the cookies will crack when you put in the Hershey kisses (like mine did above.
Just as in the past, #ChistmasCookies week comes with a giveaway. This year, we have 4 fabulous sponsors who have donated prizes that you can win and enjoy during the holiday season. The list of prizes as well as the Rafflecopter to enter the giveaway is below the recipe, so be sure to scroll down and check it out.
You can keep up to speed with all of the recipes we’re sharing (there are 25 bloggers this year!) by searching the hashtag on social media, following on Pinterest board, and by checking out the other recipes that I’ll link to each day. Who knows, you could find your new favorite! Today’s recipes include:
- Amaretti Snowball Cookies by Our Sutton Place
- Bourbon Pecan Snowballs by Leftovers Then Breakfast
- Brown Sugar Pecan Cookies by Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks
- Cappuccino Crinkles by West Via Midwest
- Cherry Garlands by Jolene’s Recipe Journal
- Chocolate Hazelnut Cookies by Kate’s Recipe Box
- Chocolate Peppermint Kiss Cookies by Books n’ Cooks (below!)
- Chocolate Sugar Kisses by An Affair from the Heart
- Christmas Confetti Amaretti Cookies by The Spiffy Cookie
- Christmas Mouse Shortbread Cookies by Palatable Pastime
- Christmas Pinwheel Cookies by Lemon Blossoms
- Cinnamon Chip Holiday Spice Cake Mix Cookies by Faith, Hope, Love, & Luck Survive Despite a Whiskered Accomplice
- Cinnamon Pecan Snickerdoodles by Daily Dish Recipes
- Classic Butter Spritz Cookies by Cheese Curd In Paradise
- Gluten Free Gingerbread Cookies by Frugal & Fit
- Hermit Cookies by A Kitchen Hoor’s Adventures
- Honey Spice Oatmeal Cookies by Family Around the Table
- Melting Snowman Cookies by Karen’s Kitchen Stories
- Pecan Brown Sugar Cookies by Cindy’s Recipes and Writings
- Pecan Pie Bars by Eat Move Make
- Pecan Pie Cookies by Art of Natural Living
- Peppermint Chocolate Cookies by Swirls of Flavor
- Peppermint Kiss Cookies by Devour Dinner
- Peppermint Patty Cookies by A Day in the Life on the Farm
- Peppermint Shortbread Cookies by Simply Inspired Meals
- Raspberry Jam Cookies by Making Miracles
- Reindeer Cookies by Sweet Beginnings
- Soft Sugar Cookies with Sprinkles by Jersey Girl Cooks
- Toffee Bars by That Recipe
- White Chocolate Cranberry Crinkle Cookies by Blogghetti
Chocolate Peppermint Kiss Cookies
A sweet peppermint Hershey kiss - a candy cane kiss - gives a holiday flair to a soft chocolate cookie in these Chocolate Peppermint Kiss Cookies.
- 1 c. unsalted butter at room temperature
- 1 1/4 c. granulated sugar divided
- 1 Tbs. vanilla extract
- 1 large egg
- 1/3 c. cocoa powder
- 2 c. all-purpose flour
- 1/4 tsp. sea salt
- about 30 Hershey kisses (one for each cookie)
With racks in the middle and top half of the oven, preheat oven to 350F. Line two baking sheets with parchment paper and set aside.
In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, beat butter and 1 c. sugar on medium speed until light and fluffy, 3-5 minutes. Scrape down sides of the bowl and beat in egg and vanilla.
Reduce speed to low and add cocoa powder, flour and sea salt. Beat until dough come together - about 2 minutes. Dough will be thick.
Use a standard size ice cream scoop to portion prepared dough into equal portions. Roll between clean palms to form a ball. Roll ball in remaining 1/4 c. granulated sugar and set onto prepared baking sheet. Continue until dough is gone, placing cookies about 1" apart on baking sheet (dough will not spread much when baked, only when Hershey kiss is added).
Bake cookies in preheat oven for 8-10 minutes, rotating halfway through. Cookies are ready when the dough is set.
While cookies are baking, unwrap about 30 Hershey kisses and set aside.
When cookies are ready, remove from oven and set cookie sheets on a wire rack. Gently press Hershey kiss into the center of the cookie and allow to cool completely before removing cookies from the baking sheet.
Store in an airtight container for up to 4 days.
This recipe was adapted from Rachel Cooks.
Welcome to #ChristmasCookies Week!
Welcome to #ChristmasCookies week where more than 25 bloggers are sharing cookie recipes perfect for your holiday celebrations. Hosted by Ellen from Family Around the Table, Christie from A Kitchen Hoor’s Adventures and Heather from Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks, we invite you to not only check out the recipes but enter the amazing giveaway.
Don’t miss one delicious cookie recipe! Follow along on Pinterest.
Prize 1: Tower of Treats from Millican Pecan Company
Originally founded as the West Texas Pecan Nursery in the late 1800’s, Millican Pecan is now in 5th generation ownership. Located in San Saba, TX, the family continues the tradition of pecan farming while also branching the business into the online world. The family also enjoys educating people about pecans. One winner will receive The Tower of Treats Gift Tins. The tower includes 3 decorative gift tins stacked on top of each other. The bottom tin includes our 2 lb. Chocolate Pecan Sampler, the middle tin is our Flavored Pecan Sampler and the top tin is an 8 oz. tin of Milk Chocolate Caramillicans (similar to Turtles). An $80 value.
Prize 2: An Assortment of Flavored Extracts from Adams Extract and Spices
In January 2013, Adams, one of the oldest continuously operated companies in Texas and one of oldest spice and extract companies in the United States, celebrated its 125th birthday and was awarded the Texas Treasure Business Award, an award sponsored by State Bill 920 that recognizes the accomplishments of Texas businesses that have provided employment opportunities and support to the state’s economy for at least 50 years and pays tribute to the state’s well-established businesses and their exceptional historical contributions toward the state’s economic growth and prosperity.
Today, Adams proudly manufactures and markets under several Adams Brand banners, including Adams Best®, Adams Extract®, Adams® Seasoning & Spice, Adams Reserve®, Flavor King™, Pantry Basics™, Sear-n-Crust®, ClearVan™, Carniceria®, Cocina del Rey®, Naturals™, and Urban Canner™ along with the Adams Frozen Skillet Desserts and Adams Premium Ice Cream lines. In addition, Adams is proud to manufacture for some of the nations most respected Private Label Brands as well as other legacy Regional Seasoning Brands and is used to flavor many commercially produced food products around the nation.
Prize 3: A Set of Baking Pans from Anolon
Established in the 1950’s, Meyer Manufacturing started by making and selling flashlights. In 1971 they started their journey into selling cookware. By 1986 they released the world’s first hard-anodized nonstick cookware which revolutionized the world of home cooking. Their nonstick surface didn’t flake or scratch easily.
Today they sell bakeware with nonstick interior and exterior made with a special sapphire-reinforced blend that is triple coated. NOTE: Color may vary from the photo above.
Make Sweets & Treats your one-stop shop for all your holiday sprinkle needs. In addition to fun, festive and colorful sprinkles, Sweets & Treats offers cupcake liners, edible glitters, sugars, and more.
Founded in 2010 by Shannon Harvey out of an industry need for bold, bright cupcake liners and baking supplies that are the life of the party! Based in Louisiana, Sweets & Treats is a designer cupcake liner manufacturer and party supply company that creates exclusive greaseproof cupcake liners, sprinkles, sprinkle mixes, paper straws, and other baking supplies.
Disclaimer: Four (4) winners will be selected. The prize packages will be sent directly from the giveaway sponsors. Bloggers are not responsible for prize fulfillment. Winners have 24 hours to respond once notified by email, or they forfeit the prize and an alternate winner will be chosen. The #ChristmasCookies bloggers are not responsible for the fulfillment or delivery of the prize packages. Bloggers hosting this giveaway and their immediate family members living in the household cannot enter or win the giveaway. Entries will be verified. No purchase necessary. Void where prohibited by law. Giveaway open to US Residents only who are 18 years of age or older to enter giveaway. This promotion is in no way sponsored, endorsed, administered by, or associated with Facebook, Instagram, Pinterest, Twitter or any other social channel mentioned in the #ChristmasCookies posts or entry.