Italian sausage and shredded apple meatballs are delightful, sweet little appetizer bites, especially wonderful for fall and winter entertaining.
This post is sponsored on behalf of #AppleWeek. Our generous sponsors, Swiss Diamond, Envy Apples, Imperial Sugar, Nordic Ware, Rodelle Vanilla, Flahavan’s Irish Oatmeal, Nairn’s and The Spice House have provided us with products for recipe creation and a giveaway for our readers. As always, all opinions are my own.
When I was planning for #AppleWeek, I knew that I wanted to share some more savory recipes with you. Making a week’s worth of sweets – be it desserts or breakfast items – would have been easy but not quite so good for my waistline. So when Swiss Diamond Cookware announced their sponsorship, I was thrilled and immediately began plotting what to make. For those that haven’t heard of Swiss Diamond, the company was established in 2001 with a manufacturing facility in Switzerland. Swiss Diamond produces a variety of high-end cookware – from cast-iron pieces to non-stick skillets and pots to knives. I was lucky enough to receive this gorgeous 6.3 Quart Cast Iron Shallow Casserole from them and was instantly in love. Look at it:
Can you blame me? This is the stuff I linger over at kitchen stores.
Today’s recipe was created specifically for this pan. 1-Pot Apple Sausage Meatballs. These little bites take only a few minutes to put together. First, they are sauteed in the shallow casserole pictured above and finished off in the oven for a sweet, fall appetizer. This recipe makes enough meatballs to serve 5-6 as an appetizer, depending on how large you make the meatballs. Personally? I didn’t want to wait to entertain, so I made a batch and served them with rice for lunch. And my husband didn’t complain about it. 😉
Before you leave me today, do me a favor and do a couple of things.
- Follow Swiss Diamond Cookware on your favorite social media platform. Not only can you drool over their amazing products but you’ll get some great recipe inspiration as well. You can find Swiss Diamond on Facebook Twitter Instagram and Pinterest.
- Be sure to scroll down and take a look under the recipe and check out the other #AppleWeek recipes that went live today. There’s a bit of everything – sweet and savory; something for breakfast, lunch, dinner, and dessert.
- Edit: There was a giveaway associated with this event but the Rafflecopter used to enter was removed in Nov. 2020, after the giveaway closed, for improved reader experience. There are some amazing prizes, including a 10 piece pack from Swiss Diamond Cookware worth over $600!!! There are multiple ways to enter and multiple prizes (description of each prize is listed here) so be sure to throw your name in the ring!
1-Pot Apple Sausage Meatballs
Italian sausage and shredded apple "meatballs" are delightful, sweet little appetizer bites, especially wonderful for fall and winter entertaining.
- 1 lb. sweet Italian sausage casings removed
- 1/4 c. minced red onion
- 1 Gala apple shredded (with skin on)
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 3 Tbs. plain bread crumbs
- 1 Tbs. minced fresh sage
- 3 Tbs. extra-virgin olive oil
Preheat oven to 350.
In a medium bowl, combine sausage, red onion, shredded apple, garlic, bread crumbs and sage. Using your hands, mix until all ingredients are evenly distributed and mixture comes together.
Add olive oil to a cast-iron casserole dish, heating over medium heat. While olive oil heats, shape sausage-apple mixture into balls, about the size of golf balls or even a bit smaller.
When oil is hot, saute meatballs for 2-3 minutes, until browned. (You may need to work in batches.) Flip and saute for another few minutes. Rotate again, if needed, until meatballs are browned all over. (If working in batches, transfer browned meatballs to a plate and set aside. Continue browning remaining meatballs.)
When meatballs are all browned, return to pot, placing in a single layer if possible. Cover and bake in preheated oven for 20 minutes.
This recipe yields 18-24 meatballs, depending on size.
If you don't have a heavy cast-iron casserole like the above (or another dish that can go from stove to oven) or if you're scaling this recipe to feed a crowd, meatballs can be baked on a baking sheet, covered with foil, for 20-25 minutes as well.
This recipe was adapted from Inside the Rustic Kitchen.
- 1-Pot Apple Sausage Meatballs by Books n’ Cooks (above!)
- ABC Sheet Pan Dinner by Jolene’s Recipe Journal
- Apple Bacon Goat Cheese Salad by Jonesin’ For Taste
- Apple Bourbon Float by Our Good Life
- Apple Butter Overnight Chia Oatmeal by Love and Confections
- Apple Cinnamon Layer Cake with Brown Butter Streusel by The Baking Fairy
- Apple Cornbread Cakelets by The Redhead Baker
- Apple Crumble Muffins by The Anthony Kitchen
- Apple Noodle Kugel by Palatable Pastime
- Caramel Apple Pie Dip by Mildly Meandering
- Apple Pie Donuts by Daily Dish Recipes
- Apple Pie Turnovers by The Bitter Side of Sweet
- Apple Pork Burgers by Cindy’s Recipes and Writings
- Apple Cranberry Crock Pot Stuffing by West Via Midwest
- Baked Chai-Spiced Apple Chips by Culinary Adventures With Camilla
- Beet Apple Salad with Maple Vinaigrette by Caroline’s Cooking
- Caramel Apple Cookie Bars by A Day in the Life on the Farm
- Caramel Apple Sheet Cake by Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks
- Cinnamon Apple Crumb Cake by Cookaholic Wife
- Cinnamon Caramel Apple Frozen Custard by Faith, Hope, Love & Luck
- Cold Apple Cider with Caramel Infused Rum by Amy’s Cooking Adventures
- Creamy Blue Cheese & Sliced Apple Crostini by Who Needs a Cape?
- Deconstructed Chocolate Caramel Mini Apple Pie by The Freshman Cook
- Deconstructed Skillet Apple Dumplings by Seduction in the Kitchen
- Fall Panzanella Salad by House of Nash Eats
- Fresh Apple Cake with Brown Sugar Glaze by Soulfully Made
- German Apple Cake with Brown Sugar Cinnamon Cream Cheese Frosting by Cooking With Carlee
- Glazed Spiced Apple Cider Cookies by Savory Moments
- Hasselback Apples by Kate’s Recipe Box
- PB Apple Muffins by A Kitchen Hoor’s Adventures
- Skillet Apple and Sausage Stuffing Recipe by Lemon Blossoms
- Skinny Apple Crisp by The Saucy Fig
- Slow Cooker Apple Butter by Shockingly Delicious
- Out of This World Apple Cake by Family Around the Table
Disclaimer: Thank you AppleWeek Sponsors: Swiss Diamond, Nordic Ware, Envy Apples, Imperial Sugar, The Spice House, Rodelle Vanilla, Flahavan’s Irish Oats and Nairn’s for providing the prizes free of charge. These companies also provided the bloggers with samples and product to use for AppleWeek recipes. All opinions are my own. The AppleWeek giveaway is open to U.S. residents, age 18 & up. All entries for the winner will be checked and verified. By entering you give the right to use your name and likeness. The number of entries received determines the odds of winning. Seven (7) winners will be selected. The prize packages will be sent directly from the giveaway sponsors. The AppleWeek Bloggers are not responsible for the fulfillment or delivery of the prize packages. Bloggers hosting this giveaway and their immediate family members in their household cannot enter or win the giveaway. No purchase necessary. Void where prohibited by law. This promotion is in no way sponsored, endorsed or administered by, or associated with Facebook, Instagram, Pinterest, Twitter or any other social channel mentioned in the AppleWeek posts or entry.