This week, Sunday Supper is all about pies – sweet and savory. I don’t often make sweet pies, but believe it or not, this version of a chicken pot pie that has become one of my favorite ones to make during the week. It’s a crust-less pie (no fussing with making pie crust and rolling it out) and utilizes precooked chicken (hello, leftovers!), veggies that can be bought frozen or prepped at the grocery store, and crescent rolls for a pretty easy 30-minute weeknight dinner.
This recipe is adapted from a Weight Watchers recipe, that I’ve bulked up a bit with a little more veggies and chicken – for those of us not tracking points – and fresh thyme.
Weeknight Pot Pie
By Books n’ Cooks
- cooking spray
- 1 Tbs. unsalted butter
- 1 small onion, diced
- 8 oz. mushrooms, wiped clean and sliced
- 1 tsp. fresh thyme
- 1/2 tsp. kosher salt
- 1/4 tsp. freshly ground black pepper
- 1 c. low-sodium chicken broth
- 1 bag (approximately 2-2 1/2 cups) diced carrots and peas
- 4 c. shredded or diced cooked chicken breasts
- 2 Tbs. all-purpose flour
- 1/2 c. evaporated milk
- 1 tube crescent rolls (4-6 for recipe; bake the rest to serve along side pot pie)
In a large cast-iron skillet,* heat oil and butter oven medium heat. Add onion and mushrooms, sauteing until onions are translucent and mushrooms begin to brown. Season with thyme, salt and pepper. Add chicken broth, vegetables, and chicken. Bring to a boil. Lower heat, cover and simmer for 15 minutes.
While mixture cooks, preheat oven to 350F.
Stir in flour and 1/4 c. evaporated milk, stirring constantly for a few minutes until beginning to thicken. Add remaining evaporated milk, stirring for a few more minutes, or until mixture reaches desired consistency.
Unroll crescent rolls and lay them around the edges of the skillet – 4 for a smaller skillet or pie dish, 5-6 for a larger skillet. Bake in oven until crescent rolls begin to brown, about 6 minutes.
Remove from oven and serve hot.
*Alternatively, use a large skillet, and transfer mixture to an oven-safe Pyrex or pie dish for baking.
Check out these other great recipes from the Sunday Supper crew!
Sweet As Pie
- Apple Browned Butter Tart by The Chef Next Door
- Banana Cream Pie from Recipes Food and Cooking
- Blood Orange Pie from The TipToe Fairy
- Brown Sugar Pie from Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks
- Cherry Chocolate Brownie Pie from Sew You Think You Can Cook
- Chocolate Macadamia Nut Tart from Desserts Required
- Chocolate Pudding Pie from The Bitter Side of Sweet
- Coconut Cream Pie from Family Foodie
- Easy Lemon Pie from Basic N Delicious
- Fresh Lemon Hand Pies from From Gate to Plate
- German Sweet Chocolate Cream Pie from Meal Planning Magic
- Gluten-Free Chocolate Cherry Pie from NinjaBaker
- Gluten Free Mini Irish Cream Chocolate Mousse Pies from Cupcakes & Kale Chips
- Grapefruit Pie from Culinary Adventures with Camilla
- Homemade Oatmeal Creme Pies from Pies and Plots
- Irish Cream Coffee Mud Pie from The Crumby Cupcake
- Leaf Topped Apple Pie from That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- Magic Cookie Bar Pie from Moore or Less Cooking
- Mixed Berry Hand Pies from My Imperfect Kitchen
- No Bake Blueberry Cheesecake Pie from Feeding Big and More
- No Bake Blueberry Mini Filo-Pies from Hardly A Goddess
- No-Bake Mixed Berry Cream Cheese Tart from Magnolia Days
- Orange Meringue Pie from Cindy’s Recipes and Writings
- Paifala (Samoan Pineapple Half Moon Pies) from Tara’s Multicultural Table
- Peanut Butter Chocolate Chip Pie from Sweet Mornings
- Perfect Manhattan Pie from The Texan New Yorker
- Pineapple Meringue Pie from A Day in the Life on the Farm
- Quick Swiss Apple Pie from Confessions of a Cooking Diva
- Raspberry Cheesecake Pudding Pie from Flour On My Face
- Strawberry Mascarpone Tart from Taste And See
- Beef & Red Wine Pie from Wholistic Woman
- Cauliflower Cheese Pie with Grated Potato Crust from Food Lust People Love
- Chard and Parsnip Galette from Caroline’s Cooking
- Chicken Tamale Pie from Rants from my Crazy Kitchen
- Cornish Pasties from Palatable Pastime
- Homity Pie (British Potato Leek Pie) from Curious Cuisiniere
- Italian Cheesy Artichoke and Asparagus Phyllo Pie from La Bella Vita Cucina
- Italian Hand Pies from Brunch-n-Bites
- Irish Shepherd’s Pie from The Freshman Cook
- Jamaican “No-Beef” Patties from What Smells So Good?
- Mini Swiss Quiches from Family Around The Table
- Mushroom Swiss Quiche from Renee’s Kitchen Adventures
- Pizza Rustica from Monica’s Table
- Salmon Pot Pie from Bobbi’s Kozy Kitchen
- Savory and Spicy Mincemeat Pie from eating in instead
- Shepherd’s Pie Hand Pies from Our Good Life
- Skillet Shepherd’s Pie from Life Tastes Good
- Spaghetti Pie from Grumpy’s Honeybunch
- Spicy Korean Cottage Pie from kimchi MOM
- Taco Hand Pies from Kitchen Gidget
- Weeknight Chicken Pot Pie from Books n’ Cooks
- Plus: Baked Puerto Rican Meat Pies and More Pie Recipes from Sunday Supper Movement
Join the #SundaySupper conversation on twitter on Sunday! We tweet throughout the day and share recipes from all over the world. Our weekly chat starts at 7:00 pm ET. Follow the #SundaySupper hashtag and remember to include it in your tweets to join in the chat. To get more great Sunday Supper Recipes, visit our website or check out our Pinterest board.
Would you like to join the Sunday Supper Movement? It’s easy. You can sign up by clicking here: Sunday Supper Movement