This week, Sunday Supper is looking at recipes for getting kids Back to School. While my kids are too young (they’re in daycare year round), I’m always on the look out for easy, healthy snacks and meals for my picky toddler. It’s especially difficult for me because daycare is nut-free – and my little one loves peanut butter, raw nuts, trail mix, etc.
In an effort to introduce some variety into her school snacks, I dug into my copy of Weelicious Lunches and picked out this healthy variation on the classic rice crispy treats. Much to my dismay, Little Miss. Picky wouldn’t even taste them, but my husband and I enjoyed these treats for a couple of weeks.
“Nut Butter” Rice Crispy Balls
Adapted from Weelicious Lunches (p. 298)
Makes 25-30 balls
- 2/3 c. sunflower seed butter
- 3/4 of 2/3 c. honey
- scant 4 c. gluten-free brown rice crispy cereal
Combine sunflower seed butter and honey in a small sauce pan over medium-low heat. Stir constantly until the two are combined. Remove from heat and let cool slight.
Transfer the mixture to a large bowl. Fold in cereal until cereal is completely coated.
Lay wax or parchment paper on the counter. Use an ice cream scoop or two spoons to portion out rice crispy balls. Roll each ball between wet palms. If desired, individually wrap rice crispy balls in wax or parchment paper.
Store in an airtight container for up to two weeks.
Check out these other great back to school recipes from the Sunday Supper tastemakers.
Getting Started On School Days
- Banana and Chocolate Chip Muffins by Caroline’s Cooking
- Caramel Apple Granola by What Smells So Good?
- Chocolate Coconut Granola Bars by Ruffles & Truffles
- Cinnamon Chocolate Overnight Oats by Whole Food | Real Families
- Funfetti French Toast by Brunch with Joy
- PB&J Muffins by Sew You Think You Can Cook
Ideas for the Lunchbox
- Grilled Chicken Sandwich by Cooking Chat
- Healthy Lunchbox Snack Mix by Noshing with the Nolands
- Mini Pepperoni Calzones by The Redhead Baker
- Turkey Bacon Ranch Wrap by Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks
- Vietnamese Fresh Spring Rolls by Curious Cuisiniere
After School Snacks and Beverages
- Back to School Cookies by The Freshman Cook
- Fruit ‘n Chocolate Peanut Butter Granola Bites by The Weekend Gourmet
- Healthy Blueberry Peach Oat Bars by Simply Healthy Family
- Homemade Buttermilk Biscuits by An Appealing Plan
- Mother’s Ruin Punch by Food Lust People Love
- “Nut Butter” Rice Crispy Balls by Books n’ Cooks
- Parmesan Crisps Recipe by Life Tastes Good
- Peanut Butter & Jelly Monkey Bread by Grumpy’s Honeybunch
- Peanut Butter Chocolate Chip Cheesecake Apple Nachos by Cupcakes & Kale Chips
- Waffle Pizzas by Our Good Life
School Night Suppers
- Beef Peppers and Onions Burritos by Family Foodie
- One Pot Bacon-Cheeseburger Pasta by A Gouda Life
- Oven Fried Portabello Mushroom Fries by Food Done Light
- Peanut Chicken Cutlets by Magnolia Days
- Smoked Salmon Ravioli with Cream Sauce by Crazy Foodie Stunts
- Turmeric Chicken and Couscous by Cindy’s Recipes and Writings
Sweets to End the Day
- Gluten-Free Almond Joy Cupcakes by NinjaBaker
- M&M Chocolate Chunk Cookies by Fantastical Sharing of Recipes
- Oreo Rice Krispy Treats by The Crumby Cupcake
- Paleo Cherry Blondies by Pies and Plots
- Plum Crumble Bars by Feeding Big
- Stuffed Peanut Butter Rice Krispie Treats by That Skinny Chick Can Bake
Join the #SundaySupper conversation on twitter on Sunday! We tweet throughout the day and share recipes from all over the world. Our weekly chat starts at 7:00 pm ET. Follow the #SundaySupper hashtag and remember to include it in your tweets to join in the chat. To get more great Sunday Supper Recipes, visit our website or check out our Pinterest board.
Would you like to join the Sunday Supper Movement? It’s easy. You can sign up by clicking here: Sunday Supper Movement.