Bacon, dates and pineapple come together in a quick, sweet 3-ingredient appetizer that’s hard to stop at only one.
A friend brought this appetizer over one night, and it has become one of my husband’s favorites (Thanks S!). I have never had dates, but this yummy bite tastes like candy – sweet and soft. And although it is best served hot, this little bite takes only a few minutes to assemble, making it easy for entertaining. We especially like to make these for game day – the guys just go crazy over them.
Note on preparation: Learn from my mistakes – Do NOT cook these on foil on a baking sheet, but on a boiler pan. I tried using foil once in the past – they didn’t get crispy and the foil ended up tearing, leaving a juicy mess in the oven – and yes, it burned and we got to listen to the smoke alarm 4 times before getting to savor these sweet treats.
- 1 lb. bacon, cut in half
- 1 can pitted dates (in the dried fruit aisle)
- 1 large can pineapple chunks
- toothpicks (optional)
- Preheat oven to 425F. Line bottom tray of a broiler pan with foil (to make clean up easier). Add top and set aside.
- Lay out pieces of bacon on a cutting board or clean counter. In the center of each slice, place one date and one piece of pineapple. Wrap, securing with a toothpick if needed. Place seam-side down on a broiler pan.
- Bake 10-15 minutes, until bacon is crispy.
- Serve hot!