My family has been using this recipe for as long as I can remember, but, of course, I have no idea where it came from. I tend to vary the ingredients a bit and it always comes out well and they always go quickly. Enjoy!
Cheese Stuffed Mushrooms
- 3 Tbs. butter
- 2 dozen white button mushrooms
- 1/4 c. finely chopped onion
- 6 Tbs. grated or shredded Parmesan cheese
- 3 Tbs. bread crumbs (I use Italian-style)
- 1/2 tsp. pepper
- 2 Tbs. cream or milk
1. Clean mushrooms and remove stems from caps. Chop stems finely.
2. In a skillet over low heat, melt butter. Add onions and chopped mushroom stems. Cook for 5 minutes, until translucent and slightly browned. With a slotted spoon, transfer to a mixing bowl and allow to cool slightly.
3. Cook caps in same skillet until browned and tender. Transfer to a plate lined with paper towels to drain.
4. Add the remaining ingredients to mushroom / onion mixture and combine. Fill caps with mixture.
5. Broil until browned.
- Add finely chopped bell peppers, any color (in lieu or in addition to onion)
- Mix up the cheese: Parmesan, Asiago, any hard cheese
- Add bacon or pancetta, to the tops of caps before broiling or to onion / mushroom mixture.